Hello and welcome to our special series of Green Elephant interviews during March 2021, supporting the annual B Corps month.
B Corporations, or B Corps for short, are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose
Throughout March, we are chatting with key people in companies which have chosen to certify as B Corps and become a Force for Good.
00:35 Interview with Matt Hocking from LEAP
- 01:32 What drives your sustainability passion?
- 02:15 Art… as graffiti artist! a good start
- 03:17 29 years old and it’s all too easy!
- 03:42 Ever heard of the Eden Project?!
- 04:30 Space with plants… and 50% wage cut
- 05:34 Three years and a great team formed
- 07:17 The forming of LEAP
- 08:07 Sustainable design agency… that won’t work!
- 09:48 A huge role to play
- 10:50 Education… did it serve your creative need?
- 12:52 Now going into schools to inspire children
- 13:26 Bringing the class to co-design culture cards
- 14:49 You just never know where your career goes
- 15:37 When did you become aware of B Corp
- 16:47 Clients entered LEAP into awards
- 17:34 How do we measure ourselves?
- 18:12 Free Range Studios – The story of stuff (video)
- 19:68 Measuring what matters
- 21:11 ISO14001 dropped
- 21:55 Another reason I started LEAP
- 22:40 Becoming a B Corp in 2016
- 23:18 A level of respect for the certification
- 23:55 Finding something to grow with us
- 26:10 Wunderism – Web & Email hosting
- 28:26 Carbon footprints of web sites and pages
- 29:18 Carbon Footprinting for 2020 – avoided emitting 66.5 tonnes of CO2
- 31:42 How Bad are Bananas by Mike Berners-Lee
- 32:42 A wildcard played with a new landlord
- 35:09 Moved offices to reduce footprint and staff benefits
- 36:08 Net Zero commitment in 2019
- 38:24 Systematic minimisation first
- 39:13 There’s the pledging and then there’s the action
- 43:10 Little by little improvements
- 43:42 Certificating – on the tail-end of 3rd certification
- 46:47 Anything else you value about B Corps
- 48:18 Sharing at it’s best – together we are stronger
- Switch to renewables, even if it’s just a tariff
- Going out and breathing in the world
- Do one handstand and change your perspective
- Declutter your inbox by unsubscribing from email lists
55:50 Fact or Fake
- An average polyester resin 6’1″ shortboard has a carbon footprint of 182kg (400lbs) of CO2 emissions (FACT)
- an epoxy 9’1″ longboard around 454kg (100lbs) CO2 emissions!! (ALSO FACT)
- Information Communication Technology accounts for 5.5% of the worlds CO2 emissions (FAKE)
- Each deforested hectare is equivalent to driving a car 25 times around the world (FAKE)
Find Matt Hocking and LEAP here: