The latest sustainability news, fun, facts and reviews from the Green Elephant for 24th September 2020.
01:17 – Coronavirus: Ministers balance science and politics in latest rules
42:20 – Climate Change: Is the movement diverse enough?
45:48 – Australia whale stranding: 470 animals now beached in Tasmania record
48:05 – China pledges to become carbon neutral before 2060
08:04 – Certified B Corps are a new kind of business that balances purpose and profit. Learn more
09:38 – Organic vegetable box firm Riverford certified as an ethical B Corp
11:15 – Starbucks Releases Strawless Lids in US and Canada
13:02 – GM and Nikola Form Partnership to Accelerate Electric Truck Production
15:20 – Circular Shopping Platform Loop Expands in the US
17:20 – Morgan Stanley Commits to Net-Zero Financed Emissions by 2050
17:50 – Shell and Microsoft Partner to Help Each Other Reach Carbon Reduction Goals
19:39 – General Electric Vows to Stop Building Coal-Fired Plants
Sustainable Technology News:
20:45 – Alternative protein companies have raised a whopping $1.5 billion through July of this year
22:26 – Work to start on Eden geothermal project
24:40 – Sales of eco-friendly cars overtake diesel
25:45 – Butts to bricks: recycling cigarette waste
28:04 – Cowboy electric bikes getting automatic crash detection for free
29:47 – Making kayaks from Cornish coastline rubbish
Environmental Sustainability News:
31:15 – Birds are dying mid-air possibly due to climate crisis effects
32:37 – Washington bans wildlife-killing competitions
34:28 – Botswana elephant deaths caused by cyanobacteria
35:52 – Brazilian wetlands fires started by humans and worsened by drought
36:51 – World’s richest 1% cause double CO2 emissions of poorest 50%, says Oxfam
37:54 – Israel fish deaths linked to rapid warming of seas
- Extend the life of oil by not letting it burn or letting it smoke
- After use strain it through a fine sieve/cheesecloth and keep in sealed container
- Re-use – maybe half a dozen times
- Think about using less – shallow fry instead of deep fry
- When its life has ended – don’t put it down the sink! Most recycling centres have waste cooking oil – take it there.
Fact or Fake?
50:36 – Coronavirus themed
- Cats can catch coronavirus
- 16% of Americans think coronavirus is related to Corona beer
- Coronavirus is more infectious than measles
- Washing hands and wearing masks is important but it’s more important to remove your shoes when you get home?
Thanks for listening to this weeks sustainability news.