The latest sustainability news, fun, facts and reviews from the Green Elephant for 13th January 2020.
01:10 – 2020 Ties 2016 as Hottest Yet
14:32 – Top cities and countries for vegans
05:59 Challenge update
We asked our audience what they would do with an old iPhone. Some of the suggestions were:
- Give it to someone else. . .
- Take it to an electronics store that recycles old devices (apparently common/mandatory in Italy for devices 25cm or less @evidentlychickentown @terramove)
- Donate to a child for homeschooling – @sustainably_k
- Make apple take it back for Urban Mining – @lianne_bell
- Return it to Apple – @wecandobetter
- Use fellow BCorp @recono.me to recycle – @angelasmonaghan
One of the items we need to resolve is leads & cables – loads of them
- Take it to local household recycling centre
- Strip the plastic off and recycle the metal
- Apparently schools need it for science projects. . . .
- If we were in the US then Best Buy would take it
- Ask if someone else needs them?
- eRecycling companies will pay you for your waste. . .
20:40 – Trump administration reverses migratory bird protections
21:55 – Greta Thunberg criticises Boris Johnson’s green revolution
18:55 – Trump administration’s sale of Arctic refuge drilling rights labeled an “epic failure”
23:26 – By 2035, all new cars sold in Massachusetts must be electric
24:36 – Dove Launches its First Refillable Deodorant in Effort to Cut Plastic Use
26:07 – World’s Largest Utility-Scale Battery Energy Storage System Now Online
27:25 – Bloomberg and Rockefeller Asset Management Launch ESG Improvers Index
Sustainable Technology News:
28:23 – Rolloe is a bike wheel that filters outdoor air while you cycle
29:40 – Stored Energy from a Nissan Leaf Powers Historic Denver Building
30:52 – Mapping coral reefs from space
32:07 – Gene editing of crops and livestock may soon be permitted in England
33:42 – Saudi Arabian City to Include Zero Cars, Zero Streets, Zero Carbon Emissions
Other Sustainability News:
35:40 – Most Europeans plan to curb flying, eat less meat for climate, EU poll says
36:35 – UK allows emergency use of bee-harming pesticide
38:21 Interview with Steve Haskew from Circular Computing
We welcome Steve Haskew from Circular Computing onto the show to discuss laptop recycling, ewaste, sustainability, education, vaccination and more.
Find Steve: LinkedIn | Website
01:03:45 – Book Recommendation – Catherine Wheetman A Circular Economy Handbook: How to Build a More Resilient, Competitive and Sustainable Business
3 Technology tips you can do today:
- Unsubscribe for newsletters and mailing lists
- Use technology to reduce the amount of paper you use – go digital
- Delete old files and emails – less storage and less cloud energy
If you would like to come on the show and share some eco tips, please get in touch.
Go watch The BBC Horizon documentary: Feast to Save the Planet.
01:14:08 Fact or Fake?
Tech recycling themed with guest Steve Haskew.
- Just 10% of e-waste is actually recycled
- If all e-waste was laptops, worldwide, we would be throwing out 650 per second
- It’s the LCD TV & computer screens along with the good old cathode ray tubes which are the most hazardous of ewaste
- 67% of the worlds population have a mobile device (Smartphone and cell phones)
- There are 362 chemicals in and LCD screen – nearly 100 of them are potentially toxic
01: 19:39 – Woman has worn same dress for 100 days – and vows never to buy clothes again
Thanks for listening to this weeks sustainability show!.
If you have any stories we should be discussing get in touch @greenelepod or email@example.com