Hello and welcome to our second series of Green Elephant B Corp business interviews.
B Corporations, or B Corps for short, are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose
Throughout this series, we are chatting with key people in companies which have chosen to work towards certifying as B Corps and be a Force for Good.
00:35 Interview with Ed Bird from Bird Eyewear
- 01:18 Elephant in the room question – Jam or cream on your scone first?
- 02:23 Formed a business with brother – get on well?
- 03:43 Complimentary skills in the family?
- 04:38 Quite a leap from charity director to innovator
- TEDx Exeter – involvement an inspiration
- 05:40 Drumming, classic cars and finding how it all works
- 07:10 Applying sustainable design
- 08:44 Are sunglasses frames different from eyesight correction frames?
- 10:04 Blue light blocking lens?
- 12:01 Blue Light filtering – is it a fad?
- 13:20 Won the Optician Awards Frame of the Year 2019
- 15:52 Shortlisted again in 2020
- 16:14 What makes the frames so special?
- 16:56 Bio-Acetate?
- 18:08 What about the packaging?
- 21:07 Even the cleaning cloths are made from bottles
- 22:15 A certified B Corp… why?
- 23:32 Share your Sun partnership with SolarAid
- 26:40 Seeing a need, filling a need
- The next thing that breaks in your life – try and fix it first
- Try yourself
- Learn about it and how it is made
- Find someone to do it
- If you can’t fix it – buy better next time
32:59 Fact or Fake
- The first vision aid was invented around 1000 AD. . (FACT)
- It was called a reading stone – a small glass sphere that was placed on top of small letters and texts to magnify them for easy reading
- The world record for the most expensive pair of sunglasses ever sold is set at over £150,000. (FAKE)
- The world record for the most expensive pair of sunglasses ever sold is set at over £270,000 for these jewel incrusted Chopard frames. (FACT)
- The Chopard De Rigo glasses are made with sixty grams of 24k gold and fifty-one individual cut four-carat River diamonds. More than two-hundred carats of diamonds!
- Almost 2 million pairs of sunglasses are dumped in landfill, each year, in the US alone (FAKE)
Find Ed Bird and Bird Eyewear here:
Watch the video
We really hope that you’ve found this B Corp interview both informative and entertaining. Make sure you don’t miss any of the business leader interviews with some of the most sustainable, socially responsible and ethical companies on the planet by subscribing below.