Hello and welcome to our second series of Green Elephant B Corp business interviews.
B Corporations, or B Corps for short, are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose
Throughout this series, we are chatting with key people in companies which have chosen to work towards certifying as B Corps and be a Force for Good.
00:35 Interview with Beth Underwood from Danone UK
- 01:50 Elephant in the room question – What does it mean to be an Activist in Danone?
- 02:52 Do you picket board meetings?
- 03:18 A degree in psychology now knee-deep in yoghurt?
- 04:15 Really sold on Danone
- 05:08 Danone UK the first of the Danone entities
- 05:50 Is there a struggle getting people to think better?
- 06:37 What are the small things you do?
- 07:20 Were Danone special from when you joined?
- 08:44 Aim to be 100% certified?
- 08:58 Is there a bigger B Corp family within the global Danone?
- 10:12 The “culture” is right!
- 10:40 Recertification must be hard work
- 11:20 Swanning in with the celebration
- 12:28 Are customers becoming more aware of B Corps
- 14:24 Is it difficult being big?
- 15:44 The difficulties of making a single policy
- 16:40 Dairy and the vegan movement…
- 18:37 Do you use psychology in your role as an activist?
- 19:20 Allowed unlimited hours of volunteering!!
- 20:50 Flying the flag for Danone initiatives
- 23:00 What are you trying to activate?
- 24:15 Starting yet more stuff
- 25:00 The ever-changing goalposts
- 26:08 Tenuous link to packaging
- 26:41 What is beyond single-use?
- 27:53 Waste and the dairy food industry
- 28:24 Use-by to best-before move
- 29:30 Big target year ahead
34:00 Fact or Fake
- Danone Dairies UK have over 50% of women as managers (FACT)
- Environmentally friendly packaging would prompt 50% of yoghurt buyers to buy one over another (FAKE)
- All yoghurt begins its life in the same way: Milk is heated, cooled, and left to ferment. Once ready, you strain the yoghurt to let the liquid whey run off, what’s left behind is Greek yoghurt. (FACT)
Find Beth Underwood and Danone UK here:
Watch the video
We really hope that you’ve found this B Corp interview both informative and entertaining. Make sure you don’t miss any of the business leader interviews with some of the most sustainable, socially responsible and ethical companies on the planet by subscribing below.